Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Reflective blog AH/HON 4240_5

Mariners Inn; A shelter and treatment center for the homeless
Mariners Inn
445 Ledyard
Detroit, MI 48201
Phone: 313-962-9446/ www.marinersinn.org/index.htm
Fax: 313-962-6395


In my Art History Class AH440_5 the students are given the opportunity to use their time to bring art to different organizations in the community. I am privileged to participate in this class program. I have been assigned to volunteer my time at Mariners Inn. I recently featured the organization in one of  my examiner.com articles click here to view.


 

The purpose of the organization

"The mission of Mariners Inn is to provide compassionate, professional treatment for homeless people and to assist them in gaining their independence, health, dignity and self-esteem.
 Everything we do focuses on preparing our clients to lead productive lives and prevent relapse. We work to achieve this mission through our programs. “~  http://www.marinersinn.org/whatwedo.htm

 
At Mariners Inn my assigned team is currently in the process of working to assemble a portrait of Obama with dominoes. It is an amazing project that inspires team work, co operation, problem solving and communication among those participating. This project was previously done by a team at Children's hospital and I featured a photo of the completed work in an earlier blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment