Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"His God Given Gift", is the title of my first amateur screenplay

My mock movie screen titles for "His God Given Gift".
Boy did I have fun in my Writing for Television and Radio Class. I really learned a lot from the experience this semester.  I have to admit that at first it was intimidating, but once I got started on each individual assignment I had no problem coming up with ideas.

I wrote a Public Service Announcement about organ donation, I wrote a commercial about an energy drink, and I wrote a short screenplay. Dr. Nicholas Schlegel encouraged classroom group interaction and feedback, so ideas and honest criticisms were shared.

On our last class meeting Dr. Schlegel shared that I was either the student with the most re-writes or a close second. ("Thanks Dr. Shlegel for sharing that with my classmates!" :-)  Well to be honest the ten page screenplay was the most challenging. My first two page draft was written more like a novel than a screenplay and I discovered there is a big difference between the two styles. In a screenplay you have to write the scenes in the present tense and you have to write only what can be captured by the camera. It's very important to know that inner thoughts or motives CANNOT be included in the screenplay unless a Voice Over is indicated. By my fifth re-write I think this crucial information was firmly planted in my brain.

3 comments:

  1. When will we be able to see it? What is a voice over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and you should be able to see a screenplay being performed right before your eyes while you're writing it. I know yours is great, fun and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Tanya. I've had you in three classes now! Three! Most flattering. I am thrilled that you learned a lot and had fun. I encourage you to keep at it because you have a natural gift for it. KEEP READING SCREENPLAYS. I appreciate your extremely kind words. --Nick

    ReplyDelete