Thursday, January 27, 2011

Reflective blog AH/HON 4240_4

Interesting discussion today regarding  Suzie Gablik's book entitled 'Has Modernism Failed'. One of the authors arguments was that today's art world is divided into two aesthetic camps, those that believe art for art's sake, and those that believe all art is political. This discussion prompted a heated debate in my group.

I'm kind of on the fence between the two arguments, but I feel it is impossible for any artist to leave out his, or hers, personal beliefs and life experiences when creating art. The art a person chooses to produce and create says a lot about that person as an individual.

Not too long ago, I had the unfortunate experience of showing a PowerPoint of  my self-portraits in a class and I was bombarded by questions as to, "Why? Why? Why? Why do  you photographed yourself?" I was even accused of being narcissistic.

My answer was that I do it because I enjoy practicing Adobe photoshop on my images. My answer wasn't good enough. I was suddenly under attack.  I felt like I was defending myself against a hostile audience.

 "There's more to it than that." They insisted. "It goes deeper...there's got to be an underlying motive." was my audiences unanimous response.

Well after this discussion I guess maybe there is more to it... and when I seek psychoanalysis and find the hidden meaning behind my work I promise to disclose the true reason.!  =)

2 comments:

  1. My daughter has the same problem. She has a large picture of herself on her wall and a lot of people have had problems with it. Some has even call it/her arrogant. She models sometimes and have not had a great life with her mother. She uses the photo for motivation. And it works for her.

    ReplyDelete