Sunday, March 6, 2011

Reflective blog AH/HON 4240_9

On March 2 the class topic was Art and Healing- Transforming the Community.

 
Miniature Peruvian quilt


We had three presenters, Nancyann Turner (Capuchin Soup Kitchen), Jenenne Whitfield (Heidelberg Project), And Doreen Webb (Mariners Inn). Each spoke of the part their organization is playing in healing the community.

I am very familiar with the Mariner's Inn's accomplishments since I have been assigned to work with that group. Please click on the highlighted words for information on the organizations.


Miniature Peruvian quilt
 I was very impressed with Nancyann Turner (Capuchine Soup Kitichen) work she is doing with the young children who come into her facility.  She share a published photo-book of the photographs the children had taken after a camera workshop, and she shared some hand stitched quilts. She illustrated by presenting these items that working together on projects and as a community heals and brings people together. I have included photos of one particular quilt from Peru ( I believe) that I just loved.


Miniature Peruvian quilt
 This quilt used a combination of quilting and appliques. I discovered  a video of  Peru that features some of their music and workmanship. It was explained in the lecture that most of their quilting art is done as community projects.




No comments:

Post a Comment